In pictures: Formby’s wealth of listed buildings

Formby Civic Society has been in touch with a reminder of the many listed buildings in the town, following on from the news that Sefton was praised for its work with older properties.

Sefton was recently recognised by English Heritage for its work with ‘at risk’ conservation areas across the borough. Reg Yorke, from FCS, wanted to remind people of Formby’s wealth of listed properties. St Peter’s church, in Green Lane, dates to 1746. The original church,which was nearer the sea, was destroyed in a storm. St Peter’s was then built further inland. The church is Georgian, and features elegant windows, side galleries, box pews and a pulpit. In the 1870s the old apsidal east end was removed, and replaced with a neo-gothic chancel, sanctuary and side chapel. The altar and sanctuary panelling were dedicated to the old boys of St Peter’s school and members of the choir who all lost their lives in World War I. The church’s organ, installed in 2002, includes pipe work from War Memorial instrument of 1949.

The old parsonage in Green Lane dates to 1772. The two story house is brick, with stone dressings, slate roofs. St Luke’s church, like St Peter’s was built after a storm destroyed the original building in 1739.

The font survived, and dates back to the 12th century. Richard Formby’s 15th century gravestone, who was armour bearer to Henry 4, is in the porch. The church also features a mysterious godstone and village cross, both of which are listed too.

Tower Grange, in Grange Lane, is one of Formby’s older homes. The central section of the house is thought by some to be 13th century. The property was restored in 1904 by CA Atkinson, and enlarged by him in 1908. Some suggest Mr Atkinson created a myth about the property’s history, and used his skills as an architect to make the house seem older that it was. Tower House, which is opposite Tower Grange, is also listed and built in a similar style. Formby Hall, in Southport Old Road, dates to 1620.

Formby’s other listed properties includes; Kew Farmhouse in Kew Road, White Cottage in Massam’s Lane, the old chapel (1688) in School Lane, Dean’s Cottage in Windsor Road, Garswood in Barkfield Lane, the cross at Cross Green, May Cottage in Green Lane, Sandhills Cottages in Green Lane, White Cottage in Gores Lane, Formby House Farmhouse in Southport Old Road and Old Spanker’s Cottage in Liverpool Road.

A special thanks to Formby Civic Society for their collection of photographs.

Leave a Reply