Again, violent protests rock Jos •More deaths recorded, several wounded …

| Print | E-mail


Written by Isaac Shobayo, Leon Usigbe and Ishola Michael, with Agency Report


Monday, 27 December 2010

THE bomb blasts, which rocked the city of Jos, Plateau State, on Friday have taken ethnic and religious dimensions as there were protests in different parts of the city

on Sunday leading to more casualties.

 

Nigerian Tribune findings revealed that some aggrieved youths in places like Rikkos, Dutse-UKu, Abattoir, Tina Junction Kada-Biu, took to the streets on Sunday to protest against the bomb blasts and molested people at random leading to the death of more people.

It was gathered that the youth shouted anti-military slogans and accused the Special Task Force (STF) of fuelling the crisis, adding that men of the task force had a hand in the death of most of the people that died.

Nigerian Tribune further gathered that more houses and vehicles were burnt in these areas while the men of the Special Task Force and the police had a hectic time controlling the rampaging youths.

A source close to Bingham University Teaching Hospital and Jos University Teaching Hospital revealed, on Sunday, that people who sustained varying degrees of injuries were still being taken to the hospitals, including the corpses of those that were recently killed.

As a result of the protests, most Christians in the city remained indoors while only a few people attended church service and hurriedly left to avoid attack as being speculated.

Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune, the state commissioner of police, Mr Abdulraham Akano, said anti-bomb squad had been deployed to sweep all churches within the city, following a rumour that bombs had been planted in those churches.

The state commissioner of police  further stated that the violent protests in some parts of the state capital, on Sunday, had been brought under control.

The state commissioner for information, Mr Greg Nyelong, told the Nigerian Tribune that apart from the Boko Haram link, the blasts had some elements of political undertone based on the prevailing situation in the state before the incident.

Mr  Nyelong said that it was wrong to keep the same set of military  officers in a particular place for too long, adding that most of the security men on the streets of Jos were too familiar with the environment and, therefore, could no longer secure the city as expected.

However, Captain Charles Nweocha, the spokesman for the STF in Jos, blamed residents for hoarding information about the Christmas eve bomb blasts.

Nweocha told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Jos, that “information flow is very poor among residents.
“The perpetrators are living among the people and we have always asked for information, but we do not get it.

“People hoard information and this certainly will make it difficult for us to record much success,” he said.

He disclosed that the STF had continuously solicited for information from the public to assist it to deal with situations as they arose.

“We have always advised that people should report any strange movement around them, but no one is doing that.

“There is a gap and we must work together to bridge it,” he told NAN.

The spokesperson described the blasts as the height of wickedness and wondered why some people should be so callous.
Nweocha said no arrests had so far been made following the blasts.

The spokesman said that no individual or group had owned up to the blasts.

He also spoke of reported sporadic attacks around Angwan Rukuba and described the action of the youth as not unexpected in view of what had happened.

On the casualty figures, Nweocha said he would align with the figures given by the police commissioner, Mr Akano, and make them available soon.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police, Mr Hafiz Ringim, has deployed four units of mobile policemen in Jos to  arrest the pathetic situation.

The Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Operations, Mr Abubakar Audu, said the four units deployed were from Bauchi, Benue, Gombe and Kano states, adding that they were to complement the efforts of those on the ground.

In a related development, Vice-President Namadi Sambo has put off a planned assessment visit to Jos, following report of disturbances in the aftermath of the Christmas eve bomb blasts that killed a number of people.

It was learnt in Abuja, on Sunday, that Sambo had scheduled a visit to Jos, to have an on-the-spot assessment of the situation and commiserate with families of victims but had apparently decided against the trip because the security situation in the state remained fluid.

Presidency sources indicated that violence was triggered by the multiple explosions that rocked Amingo Junction, Kabong and Angwan Rukuba areas of the town on Christmas eve, which also left a number of people injured.

The Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President, Umar Sani, confirmed the postponement of Sambo’s visit to Jos, but did not disclose the reason.

According to him, “all I can tell you is that the presidency is doing everything possible to restore order in Jos and the vice-president is likely to leave for Jos within the week.”

President Goodluck Jonathan, in his reaction to the blasts, on Saturday, said the Federal Government would take necessary action to ensure that those responsible for the attacks were brought to justice.

According to him, “the government will do everything possible to unearth those behind this unfortunate incident.”

He had expressed sadness and his sympathy with all families who lost loved ones in the bomb incidents, whom he noted were both Christians and Muslims.

Jonathan said the Christmas season should be one of peace and forgiveness, in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ, adding that Nigerians must imbibe the spirit of tolerance and forgiveness for progress to be achieved in all parts of the country.

Tight security in Bauchi
In another development, Christians in Bauchi celebrated the Christmas amidst tight security, as armed security personnel, made up of soldiers and policemen, were drafted to most churches to avert attacks or breakdown of law and order.

Checks around Bauchi metropolis revealed that the armed security personnel kept guard as Christians worshiped in all the major churches and other Christian worship centres within the city, while most of the clergymen called for calm, urging their members to pray for peace in Plateau and the country at large.

The state chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Reverend Musa Tula, condemned the attacks in Jos, saying that the perpetrators were out to cause another religious crisis.

He said rather than allowing it to escalate, Christians should pray for divine intervention from God, adding that violence could not lead to anything good.

Tula, who is also the Anglican Bishop of Bauchi, stressed the importance of peace, calling on the state government and relevant security agencies to take adequate measures to protect lives of innocent citizens and their properties.

The cleric called on the government to swing into action and ensure that those behind the blasts were fished out and punished in accordance with the laws of the land.

Other cleric who commented on the bomb blasts said it was an act of cowardice by the perpetrators and called on the government to ensure that they were brought to book and compensate the victims and their relations.

Security beefed up in Abuja
Also, security has been strengthened within and around the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, to forestall a spill over of the incident.

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Senator Bala Mohammed, said this while speaking with newsmen in Abuja, adding that while the capital had never rested on its oars on the issue of security, an additional 1,000 informants had been deployed to different parts of the FCT, while the police and other security outfits had stepped up their surveillance over the territory.

While describing FCT residents as very peaceful and accommodating, he warned all troublemakers to steer clear of Abuja, adding that nothing would be spared to ensure that FCT preserved its enviable status as the safest spot in the country.

He listed some of the places where security had been strengthened as churches, mosques, markets, social spots and other public places.

Earlier, the FCT minister had paid a Christmas homage to the president, in the company of the FCT Minister of State, Captain Caleb Olubolade; the permanent secretary, Dr Nathaniel Olorunfemi; the acting Executive Secretary, Alhaji Kabiru Ado Husaini and other top management members of the FCT Administration.

He told the president that “we are here on this auspicious day to wish you a happy celebration, goodwill and to say that the whole nation is behind you,” the minister stated.

He described President Jonathan as the symbol of a united Nigeria.

Pope condemns attack
Pope Benedict has condemned the Christmas Day attacks on churches in Nigeria and the Philippines, saying that they are absurd.

He said this before playing host to hundreds who had come for a meal inside the Vatican, on Sunday.

The pope, speaking from his window to pilgrims and tourists in St Peter’s Square, said he was saddened by the attacks in the two countries, as well as by as a suicide attack in Pakistan.

“I want to express my heartfelt sorrow for the victims of these absurd acts of violence and, once more, repeat an appeal to abandon the path of hatred and seek, instead, peaceful solutions to conflicts …, “ he said.

In a peace message issued on December 16, the pope said Christians were the most persecuted religious group in the world today, adding that it was unacceptable that in some places they had to risk their lives to practice their faith.